Sunday, July 8, 2012

Antique Technique


I've been wanting to try out Chalk Paint after finding a post about it online.  It seems that it only comes from one place:  Annie Sloan which is the UK.  And it costs $35.  For a QUART!!!  Being the frugalista that I am, I found a post about making your own chalk paint and thought I would give it a go!


Okay, I started with a lovely little chair from the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  I bought it for a whopping $2.00...the Best Deal Ever. 




I added Plaster of Paris and a bit of water to some off-white latex paint I had laying around to create the "Chalk Paint" for the wood portions of the project.  Now here is the cool part...  I actually painted the fabric with the chalk paint as well.  I found a quart of blue paint on the "oops" shelf at the hardware store, so it was only a dollar.  I mixed it with the plaster of Paris as well and slapped it on.  I figured, what's the worst that could happen?  I could destroy a two dollar chair?  I could have to reupholster it like a normal person?  No prob.
For the wood areas:  I painted two coats and then sanded lightly all over and a little more vigorously along edges to get a worn antiqued look.  After sanding, I used a furniture wax paste and buffed them till squeaky. :)



The second part of this painting adventure was an old craptastic table I bought at a garage sale for $3 around ten years ago. It was sitting behind the amazing chair and since it had the lines that show up so well with antiqued painting, I was suddenly inspired to make these two pieces a dynamic duo.  A little wood glue and paint and it's ready for a second chance at life.

And here is the final result...I think it's kind of French Country Shabby Chic...




I can hardly contain myself, I love it so much.  But it may be linked to what a vast difference between what it looked like when I bought it and now.  


Hope you like it!!!
Letecia


P.S.  It cost me a total of $12 in the end for this lovely pair!





No comments: